Members are Encouraged to participate in a round table discussion about server-friendly ISPs. We can also share our experiences dealing with the lastest version of the Code Red Worm.
Once again, our far flung adventuring program chair provided us with an excellent opportunity for CACTUS members to visit and get to know one another, which we did for an hour or so since there was no scheduled presentation. From the discussion among the officers, it appears that we may have missed the opportunity to schedule a presentation by Eric Raymond, however, other opportunities for other good speakers of interest to the community at large are available. Mike Rice stated that both the Spark 10 and the Network Appliance box are at his house. Some discussion ensued regarding possible placement of these resources online. Lindsay noted that we still hadn't managed a kernel upgrade on our online system at OuterNet (linux.cactus.org), however you can probably expect this to happen sometime this month, now that your scribe is actually back in town for a while, at least until the 25th of the month or so.
Let's welcome John Abbey as the newest member to join CACTUS.
To renew your membership, please send check or money order payable to CACTUS ($25/yr for regular membership and $96/yr for corporate sponsorship):
CACTUS PO BOX 9786 AUSTIN, TX 78766-9786You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
Applied Research Laboratories/University of Texas at Austin www.arlut.utexas.edu
- (Gil Kloepfer, Computer Science Division (CSD), 835-3771, gil [at] arlut <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
- Internet service provider.
Auspex Systems www.auspex.com
- (Paul Levine, plevine [at] auspex <dot> com
- Fastest reliable network fileservers.
Flametree Corporation www.flametree.com
- (David Maynard, 670-4090, dpm [at] flametree <dot> com)
- Internet and software consulting.
- (Chip Rosenthal)
Multi Media Arts (MMA)
- (Lee Williams, 451-7191)
- Publisher of instructional materials for classroom and independent study.
Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
CASDNS, Inc. www.casdns.net
- (Warren Brown, (800) 977-3475), wlb [at] cas-com <dot> net)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member.
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 [FAX 502-0287])
- Professional recruiting.
Compaq Computer Corporation www.himalaya.compaq.com
- (Ron Boerger, 432-8000)
- Provider of scalable, high availability systems.
EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040) Professional recruiting.
Hewlett Packard www.hp.com
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group.
Network Appliance Corporation www.netapp.com
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
O'Keefe Search www.okeefesearch.com
- Professional recuiting.(John OKeefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries.
Silicon Graphics www.sgi.com
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
Sterling Infomation Group www.sterinfo.com
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005, dhanshaw [at] sterinfo <dot> com)
Sun Microsystems www.sun.com
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions.
Texas Internet Consulting www.tic.com
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards.
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller.
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions.
UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
Please do not show up earlier than 6:20 pm on the specified day. Enter through the main entrance at 10000 Burnet Road for ARL:UT. Tell the guard that you are here for the CACTUS meeting. You will be required to sign a log book, but not required to wear a badge. The guards will direct you to the auditorium entrance. Limited parking in the front of the building is available, but more extensive parking is available in the large parking lot just north of the ARL building. After 6:30 pm, all entrances to JJ PRC, except for the Burnet Road entrance, are closed and locked. You can still enter the parking lot in front of the ARL building. No parking tags are necessary after 6:00 pm. See map for further details.
Online maps are available at:
| | ^ <---- to MOPAC | | | | | | North | | | to Braker Lane ---------------+ | -+ /-----------+ | | | | | | +--------+ | | | Parking | | | | Lot | | | +----------+ | | | | +------------+ | | | | +-------+ | | | | +---+ | | | | | | | Rutland | ARL | | | | +--------- | | | | | +--------- | | | +---+ | | | +---+---+ | +------------+ | | | | | | South | | | to US 183 | | v