Our usual venue, the auditorium at the University of Texas Advanced Reasearch Lab (UT-ARL), is being remodeled and is unavailable. On Thursday, September 20th, we'll be meeting at the Clay Pit. The Clay Pit is a restuarant located at 1601 Guadalupe Street. This is one block North of 15th (which is also Enfield Street from MoPac). Guadalupe is about two miles west of IH-35, and about three miles east of MoPac. It's just northwest of the State Capital. Be aware that Guadalupe is a one-way street in this area heading South. If you miss it, turn East for one block to Lavaca, which is one-way headed North. It's on the Northeast corner. Parking may be difficult. There are spots a block away on Lavaca. [Thanks to Joan Zimmerman for navagational assistance.]
When you get lost, call 322-5131 for directions. Munchies will be provided, buy your own beverage.
TrueSAN Networks invites us to learn about The Future of Storage Virtualization in a SAN Environment. During this presentation they will address the data management issues that are currently plaguing IT departments, defining storage virtualization and explaining why it will be the future of storage networking. They will also cover the importance of having solid storage resource management software and TrueSAN's approach to storage virtualization. An engineer from TrueSAN will attend to answer any questions we might have about how virtualization can impact an existing Linux/Unix environment.
[This will appear soon. Under construction on a WEB page near you.]
We want to thank Don Kassebaum, Walter Sinclair, and John Eastbery for renewing their membership.
To renew your membership, please send check or money order payable to CACTUS ($25/yr for regular membership and $96/yr for corporate sponsorship):
CACTUS PO BOX 9786 AUSTIN, TX 78766-9786You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
Applied Research Laboratories/University of Texas at Austin www.arlut.utexas.edu
- (Gil Kloepfer, Computer Science Division (CSD), 835-3771, gil [at] arlut <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
- Internet service provider.
Auspex Systems www.auspex.com
- (Paul Levine, plevine [at] auspex <dot> com
- Fastest reliable network fileservers.
Flametree Corporation www.flametree.com
- (David Maynard, 670-4090, dpm [at] flametree <dot> com)
- Internet and software consulting.
- (Chip Rosenthal)
Multi Media Arts (MMA)
- (Lee Williams, 451-7191)
- Publisher of instructional materials for classroom and independent study.
Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
CASDNS, Inc. www.casdns.net
- (Warren Brown, (800) 977-3475), wlb [at] cas-com <dot> net)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member.
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 [FAX 502-0287])
- Professional recruiting.
Compaq Computer Corporation www.himalaya.compaq.com
- (Ron Boerger, 432-8000)
- Provider of scalable, high availability systems.
EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040) Professional recruiting.
Hewlett Packard www.hp.com
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group.
Network Appliance Corporation www.netapp.com
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
O'Keefe & Associates
- Professional recuiting. www.okeefesearch.com, (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, phone 888-446-2137 or 512-658-9224)
Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries.
Silicon Graphics www.sgi.com
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
Sterling Infomation Group www.sterinfo.com
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005, dhanshaw [at] sterinfo <dot> com)
Sun Microsystems www.sun.com
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions.
Texas Internet Consulting www.tic.com
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards.
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller.
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions.
UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
Please do not show up earlier than 6:20 pm on the specified day. Enter through the main entrance at 10000 Burnet Road for ARL:UT. Tell the guard that you are here for the CACTUS meeting. You will be required to sign a log book, but not required to wear a badge. The guards will direct you to the auditorium entrance. Limited parking in the front of the building is available, but more extensive parking is available in the large parking lot just north of the ARL building. After 6:30 pm, all entrances to JJ PRC, except for the Burnet Road entrance, are closed and locked. You can still enter the parking lot in front of the ARL building. No parking tags are necessary after 6:00 pm. See map for further details.
Online maps are available at:
| | ^ <---- to MOPAC | | | | | | North | | | to Braker Lane ---------------+ | -+ /-----------+ | | | | | | +--------+ | | | Parking | | | | Lot | | | +----------+ | | | | +------------+ | | | | +-------+ | | | | +---+ | | | | | | | Rutland | ARL | | | | +--------- | | | | | +--------- | | | +---+ | | | +---+---+ | +------------+ | | | | | | South | | | to US 183 | | v