Ralph Kirkley, legendary IT recruiter of Austin will speak on the following topics:
About twenty people attended the May meeting. Despite being out of country, President Ray Schafer managed to have the pizza delivered on time. After the usual officer's reports, Larry Thompson and Richard Park of RFD Associates told us all about Argus Systems Pit Bull product.
RFD associates has been in business since 1983. They are are reseller of Argus Systems Pit Bull product. PitBull LX provides powerful, award-winning security for today's most critical e-business environments. Its unique, patent-pending Secure Application Environment (SAE) protects against application security flaws by isolating applications in separate security compartments. With PitBull LX, software bugs that in the past could grant an attacker system-wide access when successfully exploited, are now relegated to a single security compartment. It's as if the attacker (and the bug exploit) is locked inside a jail cell with no way out.
The complete story is availably at:
by Luis Basto
Let's welcome our newest >embers to CACTUS -- Joe Zagar, Sherry Lesikar, and Jeffery Hurst.
We would like to thank Lindsay Haisley and Luis Basto for renewing their membership.
The new policy of "three strikes and you're out" seems to be working well in streamlining the membership database and finding out the real CACTUS users. Expiring members are sent three notices spaced a week or two apart. If they did not respond or send in a check after the third notice, their CACTUS account will be frozen. We are fairly lenient right now and if they respond any time after the third notice, they get re-instated.
To renew your membership, please send check or money order payable to CACTUS ($25/yr for regular membership and $96/yr for corporate sponsorship):
CACTUS PO BOX 9786 AUSTIN, TX 78766-9786
Applied Research Laboratories/University of Texas at Austin www.arlut.utexas.edu
- (Gil Kloepfer, Computer Science Division (CSD), 835-3771, gil [at] arlut <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
- Internet service provider.
- Internet service provider.
Auspex Systems www.auspex.com
- Fastest reliable network fileservers.
- (Chip Rosenthal)
Multi Media Arts (MMA)
- (Lee Williams, 451-7191)
- Publisher of instructional materials for classroom and independent study.
Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
CASDNS, Inc. www.casdns.net
- (Warren Brown, (800) 977-3475), wlb [at] cas-com <dot> net)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member.
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 [FAX 502-0287])
- Professional recruiting.
EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040) Professional recruiting.
Hewlett Packard www.hp.com
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group.
Network Appliance Corporation www.netapp.com
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
O'Keefe Search www.okeefesearch.com
- Professional recuiting.(John OKeefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries.
Silicon Graphics www.sgi.com
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
Sterling Infomation Group www.sterinfo.com
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005, dhanshaw [at] sterinfo <dot> com)
Sun Microsystems www.sun.com
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions.
Texas Internet Consulting www.tic.com
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards.
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller.
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions.
UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
Please do not show up earlier than 6:20 pm on the specified day. Enter through the main entrance at 10000 Burnet Road for ARL:UT. Tell the guard that you are here for the CACTUS meeting. You will be required to sign a log book, but not required to wear a badge. The guards will direct you to the auditorium entrance. Limited parking in the front of the building is available, but more extensive parking is available in the large parking lot just north of the ARL building. After 6:30 pm, all entrances to JJ PRC, except for the Burnet Road entrance, are closed and locked. You can still enter the parking lot in front of the ARL building. No parking tags are necessary after 6:00 pm. See map for further details.
Online maps are available at: