UNIX-based Atari drive emulator
Thursday, December 16, 7:00 p.m.
The CACTUS Newsletter is a monthly publication, distributed to our members and other interested people. Visit the CACTUS Newsletter on the web at http://www.cactus.org/Newsletter/. There you will find archives of back issues, as well as instructions on how to subscribe to the email distribution.
In the spirit of our typically light December meeting, Gil Kloepfer will have a brief demonstration of his UNIX-based floppy disk drive emulator for the 1980-vintage Atari 8-bit computer.
The next CACTUS meeting will be held on Thursday, December 16, 2004 at 7:00pm (doors open 6:30pm for pizza and informal discussion), in the auditorium of UT Applied Research Laboratories. (See end of newsletter for directions to the facility).
To renew your membership, please send check or money order payable to CACTUS ($30/yr for regular membership and $100/yr for corporate sponsorship):
PO BOX 9786
Austin, TX 78766-9786
You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org. -->
|President:||Lindsay Haisley (fmouse at fmp.com)|
|Treasurer:||Johnny Long (longjy at thecb.texas.gov)|
|Programs:||Randy Zagar (jrzagar at cactus.org)|
|Membership:||Luis Basto (basto at cactus.org)|
|Publicity:||Thomas Bodine (tbodine at cactus.org)|
|Newsletter:||Ray Solanik (solanik at cactus.org)|
|Scribe:||Ron Roberts (ronro at bga.com)|
|Mark Scarborough (mscar at cactus.org)
M.H. Khan (mhk at cactus.org)
Dresser - Wayne www.wayne.com
- (Steve Cox, (512) 338-8444), steve <dot> cox [at] dresser <dot> com)
- Provides instrumentation and services to the oil and energy
IBM Corporation www.ibm.com/linux/ltc/
- (George Kraft IV, (512)838-2688, gk4 [at] austin <dot> ibm <dot> com)
Journyx, Inc. www.journyx.com
- (John Madollozzo, (512)833-3274, john [at] journyx <dot> com)
- Web-based products to track time, expenses, and attendance, for project management and billing.
Prog Corp. www.cactus.org/~prog
- (David Mallis, 451-7191, prog [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Publisher of instructional materials for classroom and independent study.
Rocksteady Networks Incorporated Rocksteady Networks
- Eric White, 512-427-1319 ewhite [at] rocksteady <dot> com
- Ray Solanik, Technical Consultant solanik [at] cactus <dot> org
Starflight Corp., http://www.the-spa.com/jon.roland/
- Jon Roland, jon <dot> roland [at] the-spa
- Computer consulting, management solutions, documentation, and technical writing.
VoIPing, LLC www.voiping.com
- (Lenny Tropiano, 512-698-VOIP (8647) or Brian Sinclair 512-698-8031, info [at] voiping <dot> com)
- IT Consulting and Services, converged networks, Unix, and Voice over IP.
Veraci Inc. www.veraci.com
- Michael Shrivathsan michael [at] veraci <dot> com
Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
Auspex Systems www.auspex.com
- (Paul Levine, plevine [at] auspex <dot> com
- Fastest reliable network fileservers.
Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
- ((800) 977-3475), registrar [at] bestregistrar <dot> com)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member.
- (Chip Rosenthal)
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 [FAX 502-0287])
- Professional recruiting.
Compaq Computer Corporation (now HP) www.himalaya.compaq.com
- (Ron Boerger, 432-8000)
- Provider of scalable, high availbility systems.
EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040) Professional recruiting.
Hewlett Packard www.hp.com
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
Hounix (maybe bad link )http://www.texascomputers.com/hounix/
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group.
Network Appliance Corporation www.netapp.com
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
O'Keefe Search ( http://www.okeefesearch.com/)
- (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries.
Silicon Graphics www.sgi.com
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
Sterling Infomation Group
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005)
Sun Microsystems www.sun.com
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions.
Texas Internet Consulting www.tic.com
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards.
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller.
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions.
UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
Directions to Meeting Location
CACTUS meets on the third Thursday of each month at the Applied Research Labs (ARL) in the JJ Pickle Research Campus (JJ PRC). We'll meet in the main auditorium located directly behind the guard's desk and main lobby.
Please do not show up earlier than 6:20 pm on the specified day. Enter through the main entrance at 10000 Burnet Road for ARL:UT. Tell the guard that you are here for the CACTUS meeting. You will be required to sign a log book, but not required to wear a badge. The guards will direct you to the auditorium entrance. Limited parking in the front of the building is available, but more extensive parking is available in the large parking lot just north of the ARL building. After 6:30 pm, all entrances to JJ PRC, except for the Burnet Road entrance, are closed and locked. You can still enter the parking lot in front of the ARL building. No parking tags are necessary after 6:00 pm. See map for further details.
Online maps are available at:
- J.J. Pickle Research Campus: http://www.utexas.edu/maps/prc/
- South East Quadrant (ARL:UT): http://www.utexas.edu/maps/prc/areas/se.html
As always, please leave the facility as you saw it when you arrived.