Volume 21, Number 9 - September 2005
Conrad Geiger, Sun Microsystems
Thursday, September 15, 7:00 PM
The CACTUS Newsletter is a monthly publication, distributed to our members
and other interested people. Visit the CACTUS Newsletter on the web at
There you will find archives of back issues, as well as instructions on
how to subscribe to the e-mail distribution. We welcome newsletter
submissions by our members. Please contact
newsletter [at] cactus <dot> org for more information.
Conrad Geiger of Sun Microsystems will do a presentation about
Sun's Storage systems.
Note that the meeting minutes from last meeting were not available
at newsletter publication time.
The next CACTUS meeting will be held on Thursday, September 15, 2005
at 7:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM for pizza and informal discussion), in
the auditorium of UT Applied Research Laboratories. (See
end of newsletter for directions to the facility).
by Luis Basto
Let us extend a warm welcome to our newest corporate sponsor.
TEKsystems is a recruiting firm that has around 90 offices nation-wide.
They have been in the Austin area since the 1997 time frame with
currently around 300 consultants working in the Austin area.
TEKsystems is a leading provider of IT services and the recognized
leader in Information Technology and Communications staffing. TEKsystems
offers a full line of comprehensive IT services, including technology
deployment services and enterprise support services. They help
businesses design, install, deploy and run their IT, communications
and network systems by providing services and the best
IT consultants available.
Contact: (512) 249-4912, (888) 598-5877
Russell Labay, rlabay [at] teksystems <dot> com
We also like to thank MH for renewing his CACTUS membership.
To renew your membership, please send check or money order
payable to CACTUS ($30/yr for regular membership and $100/yr
for corporate sponsorship):
PO BOX 9786
Austin, TX 78766-9786
You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct
any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
- Randy Zagar (jrzagar [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Johnny Long (longjy [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Programs Chair:
- John Christy (jchristy [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Luis Basto (basto [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Publicity & Webmaster:
- Lindsay Haisley (fmouse [at] fmp <dot> com)
- Gil Kloepfer (kloepfer [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Ron Roberts (ronr [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Members at Large:
- Mark Scarborough (mscar [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Donald A. Kassenbaum (dak [at] cactus <dot> org)
Significant Contributing Sponsors
- Applied Research Laboratories/University of Texas at Austin
- (Gil Kloepfer, Computer Science Division (CSD), 835-3771, gilc [at] arlut <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
- CoreNAP, L.P.
- (Kenneth Smith, (512) 685-0010, kenneth [at] corenap <dot> com)
- Provides server colocation and high-speed Internet access to businesses in the Austin and central Texas area
- Newisys, Inc.
- (Tim Wood, (512) 340-9050, tim <dot> wood [at] newisys <dot> com)
- Development of enterprise-class servers
- (Chad Kissinger, president, 322-9200, info [at] onr <dot> com)
- Broadband Internet access, web design and colocation
- Outserv.net, Inc.
- (David Maynard, dpm [at] outserv <dot> net)
- e-Business Operations Service Provider
- Dresser - Wayne
- (Steve Cox, (512) 338-8444, steve <dot> cox [at] dresser <dot> com)
- Provides instrumentation and services to the oil and energy
- Flowing Circles Engineering
- (Johnny Long, (512) 293-7894, longjy [at] fcei <dot> com)
- Taking advantage of grid computing to solve matrix engineering and energy conversion problems.
- IBM Corporation
- (George Kraft IV, (512)838-2688, gk4 [at] austin <dot> ibm <dot> com)
- Journyx, Inc.
- (John Madollozzo, (512)833-3274, john [at] journyx <dot> com)
- Web-based products to track time, expenses, and attendance, for project management and billing.
- Ray Solanik, Technical Consultant
- (Ray Solanik, solanik [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Starflight Corp.
- (Jon Roland, jon <dot> roland [at] the-spa <dot> com)
- Computer consulting, management solutions, documentation, and technical writing.
- TEKsystems, Inc.
- (Russell Labay, (512) 249-4912, (888) 598-5877, rlabay [at] teksystems <dot> com)
- A leading provider of strategic staffing and managed services for the Information Technology and Communications (IT&C) community.
- Veraci Inc.
- (Michael Shrivathsan, michael [at] veraci <dot> com)
- VoIPing, LLC
- (Lenny Tropiano, 512-698-VOIP (8647) or Brian Sinclair 512-698-8031, info [at] voiping <dot> com)
- IT Consulting and Services, converged networks, Unix, and Voice over IP
Friends of CACTUS
- Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Auspex Systems
- (Paul Levine, plevine [at] auspex <dot> com)
- Fastest reliable network fileservers
- Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
- ((800) 977-3475, registrar [at] bestregistrar <dot> com)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member
- (Chip Rosenthal)
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 (FAX 502-0287))
- Professional recruiting
- Compaq Computer Corporation (now HP)
- (Ron Boerger, 432-8000)
- Provider of scalable, high availbility systems
- EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040)
- Professional recruiting
- Hewlett Packard
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group
- Network Appliance Corporation
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
- O'Keefe Search
- (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
- Professional recuiting
- Rocksteady Networks, Inc.
- (Eric White, 512-427-1319, ewhite [at] rocksteady <dot> com)
- Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries
- Silicon Graphics
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- Solid Systems
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
- Sterling Infomation Group
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005)
- Sun Microsystems
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions
- Texas Internet Consulting
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller
- Unison Software
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions
- UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
- UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
CACTUS meets on the third Thursday of each month at the
Applied Research Laboratories (ARL) in the
JJ Pickle Research Campus (JJ PRC). We'll meet in the main
auditorium located directly behind the guard's desk and main lobby.
Please do not show up earlier than 6:20 PM on the specified day. Enter
through the main entrance at 10000 Burnet Road for ARL. Tell the guard
that you are here for the CACTUS meeting. You will be required to sign
a log book, but not required to wear a badge. The guards will direct you
to the auditorium entrance. Limited parking in the front of the building
is available, but more extensive parking is available in the large parking
lot just north of the ARL building. After 6:30 pm, all entrances
to JJ PRC, except for the Burnet Road entrance, are closed and locked.
You can still enter the parking lot in front of the ARL building.
No parking tags are necessary after 6:00 PM (but you will need to
inform the guard in the booth that you are attending a meeting at ARL).
See map for further details.
Online maps are available at:
As always, please leave the facility as you saw it when you arrived.