Volume 25, Number 2 - February 2009
Thursday, February 19, 7:00 PM
The CACTUS Newsletter is a monthly publication, distributed to our members
and other interested people. Visit the CACTUS Newsletter on the web at
There you will find archives of back issues, as well as instructions on
how to subscribe to the e-mail distribution. We welcome newsletter
submissions by our members. Please contact
newsletter [at] cactus <dot> org for more information.
ATTENTION: THE MEETING LOCATION HAS CHANGED!!!
The next CACTUS meeting will be held on Thursday, February 19, 2009
at 7:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM for pizza and informal discussion) at
the Hyde Park Church of Christ. The address is 310 West 43rd Street
by Randy Zagar
Here are the results of last months' elections:
- President - John Christy
- Scribe - vacant
- Programs - Brad Knowles
- Membership - Mark Scarbrough
- Publicity/Webmaster - vacant
- Treasurer - Ray Solanik
- Newsletter - Randy Zagar
- Member at Large - Larry Rosenman
by John Christy
I am honored to be have been elected to be President for 2009. With the help
of our members and officers, I hope to help shape some of the ideas our members
have and create action within our group so as to help our members and our
We are holding off on the usual Board Meeting until after our next meeting so
that members will have a chance to share their ideas on activities for the
year. I have talked to the local leaders of LOPSA and Austin SNUG about
working together on future speakers and activities. As an example, last week I
attended a SNUG meeting presentation by Daniel Whicker on "SAN 101". It was a
very worthwhile and professionally run meeting. I bring this up because the
SNUG group has meetings that would be of interest to our members; and the
bigger our combined group, the more often we can have this type of meeting.
This would be a win-win situation for our members and for the companies for
which they work.
I look forward to working with each of you and am optimistic about the future
growth of CACTUS.
by Randy Zagar
First, I want to say that nothing's broke. Everything is currently
working as configured. This is both good and bad. The good part is that
we're not dealing with hardware failures. The bad part is that all our
basic network services are running on incredibly outdated
I have to apologize for not making more progess on this in
the past year, but I've spent my time inappropriately. I've spent too
much time trying to figure out how things were done, instead of just
getting on with it and implementing what we need. This was
discussed at length at the last meeting and we agreed that breaking
things (in the short term) and re-implementing from scratch would
probably be best.
Here is a tentative list of what's going to happen:
Everything will remain pretty much as-is until March 19th, to give
everyone a chance to prepare, but there are no guarantees beyond that
- Primary DNS services will be moved to Outserv.cactus.org.
- Bubba.cactus.org will get an OS upgrade (Fedora 9?).
- All web sites will move to Bubba.cactus.org.
- E-mail will move to Outserv.cactus.org
- All mailing lists will be re-implemented on the new mail
- Linux.cactus.org will be backed up and shut down.
And, as always, please contact one of the officers if there's something
you want to see done on our site. Or better yet, volunteer to help make
by Mark Scarborough
To renew your membership, please send check or money order
payable to CACTUS ($30/yr for regular membership and $100/yr
for corporate sponsorship):
PO BOX 9786
Austin, TX 78766-9786
You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct
any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
- John Christy (etbravo [at] gmail <dot> com)
- Ray Solanik (solanik [at] bga <dot> com)
- Programs Chair:
- Brad Knowles (knowles [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Mark Scarborough (mscar-cactus [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Publicity & Webmaster:
- Randy Zagar (jrzagar [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Members at Large:
- Larry Rosenman (ler [at] cactus <dot> org)
Significant Contributing Sponsors
- CoreNAP, L.P.
- (Kenneth Smith, (512) 685-0010, kenneth [at] corenap <dot> com)
- Provides server colocation and high-speed Internet access to businesses in the Austin and central Texas area
- Newisys, Inc.
- (Tim Wood, (512) 340-9050, tim <dot> wood [at] newisys <dot> com)
- Development of enterprise-class servers
- (Chad Kissinger, president, 322-9200, info [at] onr <dot> com)
- Broadband Internet access, web design and colocation
- Outserv.net, Inc.
- (David Maynard, dpm [at] outserv <dot> net)
- e-Business Operations Service Provider
- Dresser - Wayne
- (Steve Cox, (512) 338-8444, steve <dot> cox [at] dresser <dot> com)
- Provides instrumentation and services to the oil and energy
- Flowing Circles Engineering
- (Johnny Long, (512) 293-7894, longjy [at] fcei <dot> com)
- Taking advantage of grid computing to solve matrix engineering and energy conversion problems.
- IBM Corporation
- (George Kraft IV, (512)838-2688, gk4 [at] austin <dot> ibm <dot> com)
- Journyx, Inc.
- (John Madollozzo, (512)833-3274, john [at] journyx <dot> com)
- Web-based products to track time, expenses, and attendance, for project management and billing.
- Ray Solanik, Technical Consultant
- (Ray Solanik, solanik [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Starflight Corp.
- (Jon Roland, jon <dot> roland [at] the-spa <dot> com)
- Computer consulting, management solutions, documentation, and technical writing.
- TEKsystems, Inc.
- (Russell Labay, (512) 249-4912, (888) 598-5877, rlabay [at] teksystems <dot> com)
- A leading provider of strategic staffing and managed services for the Information Technology and Communications (IT&C) community.
- Veraci Inc.
- (Michael Shrivathsan, michael [at] veraci <dot> com)
- VoIPing, LLC
- (Lenny Tropiano, 512-698-VOIP (8647) or Brian Sinclair 512-698-8031, info [at] voiping <dot> com)
- IT Consulting and Services, converged networks, Unix, and Voice over IP
Friends of CACTUS
- Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
- ((800) 977-3475, registrar [at] bestregistrar <dot> com)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member
- (Chip Rosenthal)
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 (FAX 502-0287))
- Professional recruiting
- EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040)
- Professional recruiting
- Hewlett Packard
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group
- Network Appliance Corporation
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
- O'Keefe Search
- (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
- Professional recuiting
- Rocksteady Networks, Inc.
- (Eric White, 512-427-1319, ewhite [at] rocksteady <dot> com)
- Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries
- Silicon Graphics
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- Solid Systems
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
- Sterling Infomation Group
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005)
- Sun Microsystems
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions
- Texas Internet Consulting
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller
- Unison Software
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions
- UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
- UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
CACTUS meets on the third Thursday of each month.
This month, the CACTUS meeting will be held at the Hyde Park Church of Christ.
The address is 310 West 43rd Street (see http://tinyurl.com/ak7q23).