Volume 25, Number 3 - March 2009
|Storage Area Networking and its Future in the Data Center
John Speer, Brocade
Thursday, March 19, 7:00 PM
The CACTUS Newsletter is a monthly publication, distributed to our members
and other interested people. Visit the CACTUS Newsletter on the web at
There you will find archives of back issues, as well as instructions on
how to subscribe to the e-mail distribution. We welcome newsletter
submissions by our members. Please contact
newsletter [at] cactus <dot> org for more information.
ATTENTION: THE MEETING LOCATION HAS CHANGED!!!
The next CACTUS meeting will be held on Thursday, March 19, 2009
at 7:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM for pizza and informal discussion) at
the Hyde Park Church of Christ. The address is 310 West 43rd Street
John Speer, from Brocade, will be giving a special presentation titled "Storage Area Networking and
its Future in the Data Center". The presentation will begin at 7:30 and
will cover the following topics:
- Basics of Storage Area Networks
- SAN design challenges
- Future of Connectivity in the Data Center (maybe iSCSI vs FCoE)
- Q and A
There is no charge to attend; however, we ask that you register for
refreshment-planning purposes. Meetings are open to anyone interested in
discussing data storage in a vendor-neutral, education-focused
environment. Please RSVP to jchristy [at] cactus <dot> org (text only)
by Randy Zagar
This is a second reminder. There's going to be some fairly disruptive
maintenance on Linux.cactus.org and Bubba.cactus.org over the next
several weeks. Since Outserv.cactus.org is the only system NOT going
through major changes, please make sure that your CACTUS logins work on
that system. Outserv.cactus.org will become the main email server for
CACTUS, and if you can't log in you won't be getting your mail. If you
have any problems with Outserv.cactus.org, or there are programs you
expect to be there that aren't, please contact me at my gmail address
This is what's going to happen:
Everything will remain pretty much as-is until March 19th, to give
everyone a chance to prepare, but there are no guarantees beyond that
- Primary DNS services will be moved to Outserv.cactus.org.
- Bubba.cactus.org will get an OS upgrade (Fedora 9?).
- All web sites will move to Bubba.cactus.org.
- E-mail will move to Outserv.cactus.org
- All mailing lists will be re-implemented on the new mail
- Linux.cactus.org will be backed up and shut down.
And, as always, please contact one of the officers if there's something
you want to see done on our site. Or better yet, volunteer to help make
by Mark Scarborough
To renew your membership, please send check or money order
payable to CACTUS ($30/yr for regular membership and $100/yr
for corporate sponsorship):
PO BOX 9786
Austin, TX 78766-9786
You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct
any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
- John Christy (etbravo [at] gmail <dot> com)
- Ray Solanik (solanik [at] bga <dot> com)
- Programs Chair:
- Brad Knowles (knowles [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Mark Scarborough (mscar-cactus [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Publicity & Webmaster:
- Randy Zagar (jrzagar [at] gmail <dot> com)
- Members at Large:
- Larry Rosenman (ler [at] cactus <dot> org)
Significant Contributing Sponsors
- CoreNAP, L.P.
- (Kenneth Smith, (512) 685-0010, kenneth [at] corenap <dot> com)
- Provides server colocation and high-speed Internet access to businesses in the Austin and central Texas area
- Newisys, Inc.
- (Tim Wood, (512) 340-9050, tim <dot> wood [at] newisys <dot> com)
- Development of enterprise-class servers
- (Chad Kissinger, president, 322-9200, info [at] onr <dot> com)
- Broadband Internet access, web design and colocation
- Outserv.net, Inc.
- (David Maynard, dpm [at] outserv <dot> net)
- e-Business Operations Service Provider
- Dresser - Wayne
- (Steve Cox, (512) 338-8444, steve <dot> cox [at] dresser <dot> com)
- Provides instrumentation and services to the oil and energy
- Flowing Circles Engineering
- (Johnny Long, (512) 293-7894, longjy [at] fcei <dot> com)
- Taking advantage of grid computing to solve matrix engineering and energy conversion problems.
- IBM Corporation
- (George Kraft IV, (512)838-2688, gk4 [at] austin <dot> ibm <dot> com)
- Journyx, Inc.
- (John Madollozzo, (512)833-3274, john [at] journyx <dot> com)
- Web-based products to track time, expenses, and attendance, for project management and billing.
- Ray Solanik, Technical Consultant
- (Ray Solanik, solanik [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Starflight Corp.
- (Jon Roland, jon <dot> roland [at] the-spa <dot> com)
- Computer consulting, management solutions, documentation, and technical writing.
- TEKsystems, Inc.
- (Russell Labay, (512) 249-4912, (888) 598-5877, rlabay [at] teksystems <dot> com)
- A leading provider of strategic staffing and managed services for the Information Technology and Communications (IT&C) community.
- Veraci Inc.
- (Michael Shrivathsan, michael [at] veraci <dot> com)
- VoIPing, LLC
- (Lenny Tropiano, 512-698-VOIP (8647) or Brian Sinclair 512-698-8031, info [at] voiping <dot> com)
- IT Consulting and Services, converged networks, Unix, and Voice over IP
Friends of CACTUS
- Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
- ((800) 977-3475, registrar [at] bestregistrar <dot> com)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member
- (Chip Rosenthal)
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 (FAX 502-0287))
- Professional recruiting
- EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040)
- Professional recruiting
- Hewlett Packard
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group
- Network Appliance Corporation
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
- O'Keefe Search
- (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
- Professional recuiting
- Rocksteady Networks, Inc.
- (Eric White, 512-427-1319, ewhite [at] rocksteady <dot> com)
- Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries
- Silicon Graphics
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- Solid Systems
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
- Sterling Infomation Group
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005)
- Sun Microsystems
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions
- Texas Internet Consulting
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller
- Unison Software
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions
- UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
- UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
CACTUS meets on the third Thursday of each month.
This month, the CACTUS meeting will be held at the Hyde Park Church of Christ.
The address is 310 West 43rd Street (see http://tinyurl.com/ak7q23).