Volume 27, Number 9 - September 2011
|Extraordinary CACTUS Meeting
Thursday, September 15, 7:00 PM
The CACTUS Newsletter is a monthly publication, distributed to our members
and other interested people. Visit the CACTUS Newsletter on the web at
There you will find archives of back issues, as well as instructions on
how to subscribe to the e-mail distribution. We welcome newsletter
submissions by our members. Please contact
newsletter [at] cactus <dot> org for more information.
The next CACTUS meeting will be held on Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 7:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM for beer and informal
discussion) at the Highland Lanes Bowling Alley. It is located at the
intersection of 183 and Burnet.
The meeting room at Highland Lanes (aka The "Birthday" room) has enough seating for 20 or
thirty people. Wi-Fi is available but the signal is weak. Cellular signal strength is
good. Anyone who can tether their cell phone to a wi-fi router should bring it.
One last note - CACTUS is having to pay a modest fee for this room and, consequently, will not be
providing free food.
by Randy Zagar
We have a couple items of interest to discuss:
- A CACTUS Cluster Show-n-Tell, and
- A CACTUS Website Update
I'll be bringing one of the four cluster nodes that'll be used for the CACTUS Cluster
project and will be happy to discuss the hardware details if anyone is interested. I
know some of you saw this at the last meeting, so I won't get my feelings hurt if y'all
don't want to hear it again.
There have been some website changes on bubba.cactus.org. There's a new Wordpress
multi-site installation in place that can support multiple blogs. In particular, I've
already started the blog for the cluster project.
Other blogs are on the way as well (for various officer positions, and other
projects). If you want to help bring the CACTUS web site into the 1990's (or beyond),
please find a way to participate. This is a DO-ocracy, so if you want to make things
happen, we can find a way for you to DO it.
by Mark Scarborough
To renew your membership, please send check or money order
payable to CACTUS ($30/yr for regular membership and $100/yr
for corporate sponsorship):
PO BOX 9786
Austin, TX 78766-9786
You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct
any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
The Officers for 2011 are:
- Johnny Long
- Ray Solanik
- Programs Chair:
- Brad Knowles
- Mark Scarborough
- Randy Zagar
- Members at Large:
- James Howard
Significant Contributing Sponsors
- CoreNAP, L.P.
- (Kenneth Smith, (512) 685-0010, kenneth [at] corenap <dot> com)
- Provides server colocation and high-speed Internet access to businesses in the Austin and central Texas area
- Newisys, Inc.
- (Tim Wood, (512) 340-9050, tim <dot> wood [at] newisys <dot> com)
- Development of enterprise-class servers
- (Chad Kissinger, president, 322-9200, info [at] onr <dot> com)
- Broadband Internet access, web design and colocation
- Outserv.net, Inc.
- (David Maynard, dpm [at] outserv <dot> net)
- e-Business Operations Service Provider
- Dresser - Wayne
- (Steve Cox, (512) 338-8444, steve <dot> cox [at] dresser <dot> com)
- Provides instrumentation and services to the oil and energy
- Flowing Circles Engineering
- (Johnny Long, (512) 293-7894, longjy [at] fcei <dot> com)
- Taking advantage of grid computing to solve matrix engineering and energy conversion problems.
- IBM Corporation
- (George Kraft IV, (512)838-2688, gk4 [at] austin <dot> ibm <dot> com)
- Journyx, Inc.
- (John Madollozzo, (512)833-3274, john [at] journyx <dot> com)
- Web-based products to track time, expenses, and attendance, for project management and billing.
- Ray Solanik, Technical Consultant
- (Ray Solanik, solanik [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Starflight Corp.
- (Jon Roland, jon <dot> roland [at] the-spa <dot> com)
- Computer consulting, management solutions, documentation, and technical writing.
- TEKsystems, Inc.
- (Russell Labay, (512) 249-4912, (888) 598-5877, rlabay [at] teksystems <dot> com)
- A leading provider of strategic staffing and managed services for the Information Technology and Communications (IT&C) community.
- Veraci Inc.
- (Michael Shrivathsan, michael [at] veraci <dot> com)
- VoIPing, LLC
- (Lenny Tropiano, 512-698-VOIP (8647) or Brian Sinclair 512-698-8031, info [at] voiping <dot> com)
- IT Consulting and Services, converged networks, Unix, and Voice over IP
Friends of CACTUS
- Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
- ((800) 977-3475, registrar [at] bestregistrar <dot> com)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member
- (Chip Rosenthal)
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 (FAX 502-0287))
- Professional recruiting
- EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040)
- Professional recruiting
- Hewlett Packard
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group
- Network Appliance Corporation
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
- O'Keefe Search
- (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
- Professional recuiting
- Rocksteady Networks, Inc.
- (Eric White, 512-427-1319, ewhite [at] rocksteady <dot> com)
- Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries
- Silicon Graphics
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- Solid Systems
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
- Sterling Infomation Group
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005)
- Sun Microsystems
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions
- Texas Internet Consulting
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller
- Unison Software
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions
- UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
- UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
CACTUS meets on the third Thursday of each month. This month, the CACTUS
meeting will be held at the at the Highland Lanes Bowling Alley. It is
located at the intersection of 183 and Burnet.