Volume 27, Number 10 - October 2011
|Ordinary CACTUS Meeting
Thursday, October 20, 7:00 PM
The CACTUS Newsletter is a monthly publication, distributed to our members
and other interested people. Visit the CACTUS Newsletter on the web at
There you will find archives of back issues, as well as instructions on
how to subscribe to the e-mail distribution. We welcome newsletter
submissions by our members. Please contact
newsletter [at] cactus <dot> org for more information.
The next CACTUS meeting will be held on Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM for beer and informal
discussion) at the Highland Lanes Bowling Alley. It is located at the
intersection of 183 and Burnet.
The meeting room at Highland Lanes (aka The "Birthday" room) has enough seating for 20 or
thirty people. Wi-Fi is available but the signal is weak. Cellular signal strength is
good. Anyone who can tether their cell phone to a wi-fi router should bring it.
One last note - CACTUS is having to pay a modest fee for this room and, consequently, will not be
providing free food.
by Randy Zagar
I haven't heard anything from the other officers regarding new discussion topics, so I guess
we'll continue working on the new CACTUS web site (it's in the alpha stage). I think this
bears repeating, if you want to help CACTUS's web site get beyond the 1990s, please stop by
and help us create ways for you to participate.
Hardware for the CACTUS Cluster project is being purchased this month, so that'll definitely be
a topic for the November meeting...
by Mark Scarborough
To renew your membership, please send check or money order
payable to CACTUS ($30/yr for regular membership and $100/yr
for corporate sponsorship):
PO BOX 9786
Austin, TX 78766-9786
You can also pay in person at the general meetings. Please direct
any inquiries or address changes to membership [at] cactus <dot> org.
The Officers for 2011 are:
- Johnny Long
- Ray Solanik
- Programs Chair:
- Brad Knowles
- Mark Scarborough
- Randy Zagar
- Members at Large:
- James Howard
Significant Contributing Sponsors
- CoreNAP, L.P.
- (Kenneth Smith, (512) 685-0010, kenneth [at] corenap <dot> com)
- Provides server colocation and high-speed Internet access to businesses in the Austin and central Texas area
- Newisys, Inc.
- (Tim Wood, (512) 340-9050, tim <dot> wood [at] newisys <dot> com)
- Development of enterprise-class servers
- (Chad Kissinger, president, 322-9200, info [at] onr <dot> com)
- Broadband Internet access, web design and colocation
- Outserv.net, Inc.
- (David Maynard, dpm [at] outserv <dot> net)
- e-Business Operations Service Provider
- Dresser - Wayne
- (Steve Cox, (512) 338-8444, steve <dot> cox [at] dresser <dot> com)
- Provides instrumentation and services to the oil and energy
- Flowing Circles Engineering
- (Johnny Long, (512) 293-7894, longjy [at] fcei <dot> com)
- Taking advantage of grid computing to solve matrix engineering and energy conversion problems.
- IBM Corporation
- (George Kraft IV, (512)838-2688, gk4 [at] austin <dot> ibm <dot> com)
- Journyx, Inc.
- (John Madollozzo, (512)833-3274, john [at] journyx <dot> com)
- Web-based products to track time, expenses, and attendance, for project management and billing.
- Ray Solanik, Technical Consultant
- (Ray Solanik, solanik [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Starflight Corp.
- (Jon Roland, jon <dot> roland [at] the-spa <dot> com)
- Computer consulting, management solutions, documentation, and technical writing.
- TEKsystems, Inc.
- (Russell Labay, (512) 249-4912, (888) 598-5877, rlabay [at] teksystems <dot> com)
- A leading provider of strategic staffing and managed services for the Information Technology and Communications (IT&C) community.
- Veraci Inc.
- (Michael Shrivathsan, michael [at] veraci <dot> com)
- VoIPing, LLC
- (Lenny Tropiano, 512-698-VOIP (8647) or Brian Sinclair 512-698-8031, info [at] voiping <dot> com)
- IT Consulting and Services, converged networks, Unix, and Voice over IP
Friends of CACTUS
- Applied Formal Methods, Inc.
- (Susan Gerhart, 794-9732, gerhart [at] cactus <dot> org)
- Austin Code Works
- (Scott Guthery, 258-0785, info [at] acw <dot> com)
- ((800) 977-3475, registrar [at] bestregistrar <dot> com)
- A top-level domain name registrar, CORE member
- (Chip Rosenthal)
- (Maurine Mecer, 502-0190 (FAX 502-0287))
- Professional recruiting
- EDP Contract Services
- (Mark Grabenhorst, 346-1040)
- Professional recruiting
- Hewlett Packard
- (Bill Sumrall, 338-7221)
- (Marilyn Harper)
- Houston's Unix Users Group
- Network Appliance Corporation
- (Frank Mozina, fmozina [at] netapp <dot> com)
- O'Keefe Search
- (John O'Keefe, john [at] okeefesearch <dot> com, 512-658-9224 or 888-446-2137)
- Professional recuiting
- Rocksteady Networks, Inc.
- (Eric White, 512-427-1319, ewhite [at] rocksteady <dot> com)
- Sailaway System Design
- (Chris J Johnson, 447-5243)
- (Kathy O'Brien, obrien [at] asc <dot> slb <dot> com)
- Technical services and products in over 100 countries
- Silicon Graphics
- (Don Williams, 346-9342)
- Solid Systems
- (Pete Farrell, 442-2222)
- Sterling Infomation Group
- (Darrell Hanshaw, 344-1005)
- Sun Microsystems
- (Rick Taylor)
- Supplier of Unix client-server computing solutions
- Texas Internet Consulting
- (Smoot Carl-Mitchell, 451-6176, smoot [at] tic <dot> com)
- TCP/IP networking, Unix, and open systems standards
- A Sun Authorized Training Center and a Hardware Reseller
- Unison Software
- (Shelley St. John, 478-0611)
- Supplier of networked systems management solutions
- UT Computer Science Department
- (Patti Spencer)
- UT Computation Center
- (Mike Cerda, 471-3241, cerda [at] uts <dot> cc <dot> utexas <dot> edu)
CACTUS meets on the third Thursday of each month. This month, the CACTUS
meeting will be held at the at the Highland Lanes Bowling Alley. It is
located at the intersection of 183 and Burnet.